Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On the Road Again... and Again... and Again.

That's the pattern in my life right now, traveling. Again and again. I am currently on a train to West Palm Beach to meet my sensitive drummer sailor friend Ben who I sailed with a couple of months ago. The one with the soon to be ex-quazi girlfriend. As soon as I arrived home from the retreat I got a text from him asking me to take a train to West Palm Beach where he would pick me up and I would accompany him to Key Weird (sailor lingo for Key West) to deliver a sailboat. Once there he would pay for all drinks, food and accommodations. Some may wonder why these sailors keep offering to pay for my trips to neat locations and no, I'm not sleeping with him. We're just friends. Sailors are just fun people and I guess they happen to like having me around. He also mentioned that he needed a party partner because he didn't want the Key Weirdians to hit on him.
It may seem strange that I accepted the offer, considering I just arrived home from a super spiritual health retreat and I must admit, my first instinct was to say no, be grounded, stay the spiritual course. But how can I resist an almost all expenses paid trip to the keys? I'm just not that spiritually evolved yet. And since I won't be settling down for at least another five or so years (per the advice of the vedic astrologer who also told me I would be able to give birth well into my forties - sweet!) - I can keep going. And going. And going. It's just what's in the cards for me right now. New places thrill me, and visiting old places that seem like home fill my soul.
So here I am, taking the AmTRIPPYtrack train to sunshine and blue water - two of my favorite things in the world. There is something to be said about trains. As WEIRD as they are - well - the trains themselves aren't weird - just the strangers who inhabit them. So anyway, as I was saying, as weird as they are - it's such a great way to travel. Yes it typically cost five times more than a flight and takes five times longer, but there is a sense of freedom that one feels while venturing the countryside by rail. I wish we had a system like Europe. And maybe a cart devoted to stretching - or a gym cart or something. Ooh! And a shower cart. OK, so there are some things lacking in the Amtrak system. Yes, your muscles do feel atrophied, like that of an eighty year old woman after a three day trip of immobility and truly terrible food, and we don't won't to talk about the smell. Lets leave that one out. BUT! The cool thing is that right now I am sitting in the dining car drinking a cup of coffee, my computer is plugged in and sitting on the table before me and as I'm writing to you, forests of pine and oak are flying by. Ok, and there's this really strange guy staring at me. He's kinda creeping me out. Ok, still staring. Annnnd I wish he'd stop.
Ok, so trains are weird. But I like them. Even though freak boy is still staring.

No comments: